Saturday, January 15, 2011

Why Taylor Swift's Songs Are Like Good Writing

Okay, so maybe all of you don't agree with that statement. But after having just been in a little fight about whether or not Taylor Swift can sing and the statement that all her songs revolve around boys and falling in love and breaking up and feeling cheated and etc., I kinda got to thinking... I think so many people resonate with her songs because they're real. Relatable. Her songs aren't like the crazy other songs out there, where half the time you don't really know what they're singing about but you just sing along anyway because it's catchy (guilty). Don't get me wrong--there are still tons of other songs out there that are just as easy to understand, as understandable as Taylor's; I'm only using her as my example because I was just defending her and I like her. :)

As writers, we're always striving to make our stories, our characters as real as possible, as believable as can be. That way, our stories will stay in readers' heads and make them truly think about what they've just read long after they've turned that last page. We try to strike them in the gut, reach out and make them feel while they're reading.

Yes, I'm a guy, and I think Taylor Swift's songs are fantastic. I feel like she's speaking directly from her heart when she sings (not to get all sappy or anything), and that really makes me smile and lets me know she pours her soul into all of her written works.

That's what we, as writers, must continue to do. Put as much passion into our works as we can, because once we have, it'll truly begin to shine like it was meant to. I wholeheartedly believe that.

Food for thought, I guess. :) What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I'd have to disagree with you. As a woman, I literally never connect to Swift's songs. To me, they always feel like she's singing about high school in that awful twang of hers. As a singer myself, I feel she completely misses the mark. The girl has no range, no volume, heck, she can rarely sing on key as is apparent in all her live performances I've watched her in (poor Stevie Nicks). She's young, pretty and can strum a guitar (unlike many singers today, so I'll give her points for that) and that's about the only reason she's famous. I've read many of her interviews, and again, they all sound the same. If my writing were as redundant as her songs and interviews, I'd definitely think about delving a little deeper into those 'life experiences' she professes to have.

    Sorry if I sound snarky. I don't mean to be. I just wanted to give you my honest opinion and I completely appreciate your honest post. If you like her, enjoy her music all you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry at all--you don't sound snarky! I truly appreciate your honesty; I was hoping others would respond to this post, whether or not they agree. I took a chance here, and I'm glad you were brave enough to give me your opinion on the matter!

    And yes, I do think her being young and pretty plays a big role in her fame. I certainly agree with that statement. :)

    Thank you for responding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Taylor Swift! She's on my ipod. I listen to her while I run and she inspires my teen voice for writing. :0) Christy (I haven't seen you in soooo long! Thanks for visiting us recently!)

    ReplyDelete